About the scholarship
This award was established to recognize and honor Dr. Richard Miller for his service as Faculty Advisor to the men of Sigma Pi fraternity at Missouri University of Science and Technology from August 1988 through June 2010. During this period, he provided valuable guidance and mentorship to the fraternity and volunteered his time endlessly to inspire service and develop character in our members. Dr. Miller retired in July 2010 and retains his honorary title as Professor Emeritus of Philosophy in the Arts, Languages, and Philosophy department, which he became chair of the department in 2000.
Dr. Miller is also a member of the Kiwanis Club, a Sigma Pi alumnus, and president of the Miner Retirees Association. He has also received the following awards: Outstanding Teacher Award (1982, 1983, 1988, 1989, and 1990), Outstanding Student Advisor Award (2004), and the George F. Hixon Award (2005) by Kiwanis International Foundation.
Applicants must meet the following standards
- Must be graduated from high school or its equivalent and be enrolled to attend Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Must submit an application to the foundation
The criteria for selection include the following:
- Diligence in maintaining good scholarship
- Demonstration of leadership/mentorship in the community by participation in school or community organizations/activities
- Participation and volunteering in worthy philanthropic activities
- Answer the following scenario: You have been accepted to a top national university in which one can obtain an excellent education, which will provide many opportunities throughout your life. Consider this; then, describe how after graduation you may utilize these opportunities and lessons from this university to create a better world for society.
Applicants will be required to:
- Provide an official transcript of their high school grades
- Submit an application with an essay of 1,500 words or fewer
Please submit your application, transcripts, and essay to:
Alpha Iota Educational Foundation
206 E. 12th St.
Rolla, MO 65401
It is not a requirement of this scholarship that the applicant be a member, or intend to join, the Alpha Iota Chapter of Sigma Pi Fraternity. It is the intent to award applicants who are carrying on the spirit demonstrated by Dr. Miller who is an alumnus for the Alpha Iota Chapter of Sigma Pi.